Old Uprights, gotta love em.

David M. Porritt dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 06:44:47 -0500

Joe:

How do you handle cracked boards in your lifetime warranties? =
 I'm probably old enough to give your kind of warrantee but even=
 at my age predicting the life of a board is a little iffy.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275

From: Joe Garrett <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Old Uprights, gotta love em.

Terry said: "A five-year warranty on a refurbished old upright?=
 Hmmmmm. I'd be a bit
uncomfortable with a five-minute warranty!"

Terry Farrell

Terrrrrrry!
Shame on you!
Having said that, I would like to offer my guarantee, for all=
 rebuilds, I do. It is: If there is any problem, on anything I=
 worked on/repaired/replaced, I will fix it, to the customer's=
 satisfaction, for free. The only caveat is if the piano has been=
 mistreated/misused or subjected to poor environment. And, of=
 course, I'm not responsible for normal wear and tear.   This=
 guarantee is for as long as I am able to breath!<G>
IMO, this is the type of guarantee that all should have. If you=
 can't guarantee your work, then don't do the work. Yes, I have=
 walked away from lots of potential "rebuilds", that, in my=
 opinion, were not suitable candidates. (and that includes the=
 client, ...not being "suitable".)
There is one item I do not guarantee....Repair of a Cracked=
 Plate.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police