Seiler 180 voicing, frontscale noise questions

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:21:59 EST

Liszt,

I have a job coming up where I'll be working on a Seiler 180(5 10" grand).
I'll be at it all day, easing, lubing, regulating, tuning, and voicing.  These
are really well-built German pianos, with Renner blue hammers, and full Renner
actions, etc., etc.

I'm sure someone on this list has experience with these pianos.  I've worked
on quite a few, but not to this extent.  I've tuned many, and done minor
regulations on several, but have never voiced one.  I'm actually surprised that
nobody has asked me to voice  because there are some really harsh overtones that
emanate from the piano above the treble break.  I've muted some in the past by
lacing felt through the strings and wedging it under the capo bar, with some
success.  The customer knows about this method, but would prefer it voiced
down, or so he says.

My main concern in this whole deal is that I've seen the results of a tech
trying to "voice down" that section on a different piano.  The hammers are
ruined.  They look like pin cushions, and sound like them too.

Can anyone offer advice on the voicing of these instruments?  M. Orobeek??
Anyone??

I've got a call in to the Seiler rep.  I'm certain he's heard this complaint
before.  I'm curious what the company has to offer in terms of a fix.

Thanks in advance for any and all input,

Dave Stahl