kawai warranty question

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 09:23:17 EDT

List

I service a Kawai grand, model number not at hand right now, that is 10 years
old.   This piano is owned by a piano teacher and she uses it for her
lessons, so it does get heavier use than most home pianos.   Still, I am surprised at
how poorly it was fared.

Key bushings are completely worn and need replacing.   Dampers lift
immediately upon depressing the key.   The damper lift, I am going to remedy next week,
but I wonder if the key bushings are something that would be covered by a
warranty.   (She couldn't find the warranty when I was there, but hopefully will
have found it by the time I return next week to regulate the damper lift.)

I would think Kawai would warranty their new pianos for some length of time.
 But even should the warranty still be in place, would key bushings be
covered?

Having been in the business for only 6-7 years, I'm not really sure how long
key bushings are supposed to last . So maybe it's unrealistic for me to expect
them to last longer than 10 years.   Please straighten me out on this if my
expectations are off.

And unrelated, really, to the above:   let's say that a Kawai did have
something that needed fixing that was covered by an existing warranty.   How would
you go about getting Kawai to cover the cost of the repair? Or even agree to
have the repair done?   Why would they trust my opinion that the key bushings
(or whatever) needed replacing?   Would I have to produce some evidence to prove
it?    I've never had to do any of this before.   And yes, I could probably
call Kawai and get an answer, but then, as a hypothetical question at this
point, I wouldn't want to bother them with it.   Certainly someone here has done
warrantied repairs: how is it arranged?

Thanks,
Tom Sivak
Chicago Chapter PTG Associate