Pinblock glassing

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:00:08 -0400

Steve Grattan wrote:

First, I fit the block using traditional methods until it is close then =
I cover the pinfield and flange with PREMIUM QUALITY SARAN WRAP - taping =
as needed to areas that will not be covered
with the epoxy mix.

Or use any one of a number of good release agents. Car wax works well.

I have been using West system 105/205 and the microlight filler for =
years.=20

#410 Microlight is a fairing filler. It has little compression strength. =
It's main feature is that is spreads smoothly and is easy to sand - =
hence a great fairing filler. I highly suggest using #404 High Density =
Filler. This is their highest strength filler. If you don't goober too =
much on, you won't need to sand it, so using it is hassle-free.

 I mix the epoxy up=20
according to the instructionsand add the microlight filler until it is a =
little thinner than peanut butter (creamy!!).  Spread the mixture on the =
narrow edge of the block and put in place.

Only used enough to fill any gaps. If you don't goober too much on, it =
won't spread under the plate web. I highly recommend using the West =
System Two-Step Bonding Method to ensure the epoxy never comes loose.

  Clamp it to be sure it stays where you want it to be and leave it sit =
overnight.

The plate should be set in it's final resting position when the epoxy is =
curing - screwed to the pinblock and bolted to the rim - shouldn't need =
clamps.

  Wipe off any gross amounts of squeeze out.

Indeed. But there shouldn't be much because we don't use much!

The next day - remove the clamps and teh block come right off.  The =
Saran Wrap will peel off effortlessly.  Any epoxy that worked around to =
the pinfield can easily be sanded off.

Ed Foote had a good comment - there shouldn't be room for epoxy to creep =
under the plate web. Only a minimal amount needs to be applied to the =
plate flange - just enough to perfect the fit - very little indeed.

Works great and gives a perfect full fit every time.  By the way - the =
crush strength of the West System epoxy is FAR beyond what stresses the =
pinblock withstands and it will go nowhere.

Yes, the compression strength of unthickened epoxy is pretty high, but =
when mixed with #410 Microlight fairing filler to a near-peanut-butter =
consistency, it becomes something like styrofoam (you can dent it easily =
with a finger nail)- definitely not the thing to be using in this =
application.

Terry Farrell