Church situation

Brian Doepke doepkeb at comcast.net
Thu Jul 6 06:04:58 MDT 2006

Hello List,

Can you help?  I have situation that I have never had before and need some
wisdom on how to proceed.

A large local church called me and asked for a proposal to tune their
sanctuary piano.  The tuner that they did have was a member of the church
and tuned it every week..yes every week.  The church is involved with a TV
ministry and I am guessing that it might need "tweaked" every week.

I am told that the piano will NOT be moved as much as it was in the past and
they are thinking that perhaps tuning it every other week would be
sufficient.  I did tell the caller that it sounds reasonable, but if they
feel it continues to need the weekly tuning, then I would work with them.

The music department secretary was very kind and not gruff at all, but I am
not sure what kind of fee to propose to them.  It would be great to have the
steady work, but I don't want to undersell my services either.

They wish to have a month "trial period" to see if things work out.  I said
that it sounded fair to me.

I am used to tuning a piano twice a year, so twice a month is new to me.

Is there anyone out there who can share some wisdom with me on how I might
proceed?

Does anyone have a similar situation but the church/institution has you on a
retainer fee ?

Brian P. Doepke
AAA Piano Works, Inc.
Piano Tuning-Repair-Purchase Consults