Tuning

Marcel Carey mcpiano at videotron.ca
Sun Jul 9 19:49:27 MDT 2006

HI,

I have a trainee that learned aurally and is almost just out of school.
She started aurally, but with the pianos we are dealing with, the
biggest problem is setting the pins. They are sure hard to turn. At the
beginning, she didn't want to use the ETD I offered. But after a week of
frustration (mostly from my part cause she was taking way too much time
to listen), I forced the ETD on her telling her she would get much more
experience setting pins accurately (you can see it drifting if not set).
Also, the most important interval in piano tuning is still and always
will be unisons. These are still done by ear. For a beginner, the use of
an ETD will lessen the time to set temperament, give the person the
chance to turn more tuning pins per day (concentrating on unisons) and
make the employer (me) happier because I know what the tunings will get
done.

I still tune aurally some days and some pianos. It makes me feel good.
But some days, I'm glad I have it. Sometimes I  will cheat on the
machine if I don't agree, but like some others said:  It's a tool, and a
darn good one at that.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC

  _____