Pinblock Repair

Avery avery1 at houston.rr.com
Sat Jul 15 12:44:55 MDT 2006

Alan,

I think you missed part of the post. Here's what came before the
quote at the bottom.

Avery

Hi, all!  Yesterday I worked on a 1915 Bluthner Grand.  I could only
talk the husband into "Just make it work".  Then I talked to the
wife, and was able to get a little farther with her, a new set of
Arledge bass strings, with CA the block, file hammers, a little
regulation, etc.
     A previous tooner had put some universal strings in the bass
(poorly), and had used some of those infamous "sleeves" in the tuning
pin holes.  I pulled those out, and figured that as loose as those
pins were, I'd put in 3's (1's came out), and 4's in the sleeved holes.
     To my horror, when putting in the new strings and pins, there
were 2 holes that actually had 2 sleeves in the holes, and when
removed, the 4's actually fell through the holes!!!  I had a few 6's,
and one of them worked.  The other still went through the hole.