Key flexing, was "Inertia," was "Grand Touch"

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jul 16 21:07:23 MDT 2006

> Are the button and top plate two pieces or one?

Hi Dean,
They're two separate pieces.

>If they are two why not make
> it just one and do a gradual taper all the way to the end of the top plate.
> I suspect you would pick up some additional stiffness.

Interesting thought. No reason not to that I can see, other
than the machine setup to produce the tapers. The net effect
is similar to a taper anyway, so it's a quite reasonable
approach. The difference that comes immediately to mind is the
bushing method. With two layers, the buttons can be bushed
from the bottom. With one double thick button/plate, the
bushing would have to be done from the top. Hardly
insurmountable, and bears looking into. I'll ponder it, thanks.

> Since the top of the key is in tension I would think you get much more
> strain reduction by stiffening the top.
>
> Dean

There's where it gets foggy. The only thing I've ever found
even remotely hinting at the weak spot in beam failure
described fiber stress in compression as being the likely
limiting factor. Logically, adding beam depth with a
reasonably similar material to the original just adds
stiffness by virtue of added beam depth, regardless of whether
it's on the top or bottom. That's the "duh" factor.
Substituting a different (harder) material might well make
some difference as to whether it's on top, or on the bottom,
but I sure haven't found any documentation to that effect
despite a lot of hours of looking. So far, it's in the same
category as grain orientation as affects beam stiffness and
long term load carrying capacity - unverifiable
intuition/random guess. Functionally, I'm not convinced it
makes enough difference to get excited about, but I'm
certainly willing to entertain the concept pending better
information than I currently have.

Got any?

Ron N