Story and Clark not tuned for 30 years!!

Avery avery1 at houston.rr.com
Sat Jul 22 08:34:48 MDT 2006

Hi Sam,

I'm going to go ahead and post my thoughts on this before the thread
gets too old. Because you indicate you're pretty new at this, I'm
going to go into some detail and hope that you, and maybe some
others, will find something that will be useful somewhere along the
way. Warning: It's kind of long!

At 09:12 PM 7/21/2006, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>The other day, I tuned an old Story and Clark upright. When I opened
>it, I found the business card of the last tech who tuned it. It was
>dated 07/26/1976, almost exactly 30 years ago.
>
>Norm Larson of South Haven, Minnesota, are you still around?
>
>A gave it a quick inspection, and it appeared to be in decent shape.
>I vacuumed it out for the customer. There didn't appear to be any
>rust on the tuning pins or the strings. Most of the hammers didn't
>have any grooves, and those that did were very slight. The
>soundboard didn't have any cracks.
>
>I didn't dare raise it to pitch because it had been so long since it
>was tuned.

First, let me say that I normally will not tune a piano "to itself"
unless there's some structural reason not to (very loose pins, very
rusty strings, evidence of previous string breakage, etc.). With
appropriate warnings to the customer about the possibility of string
breakage & their agreement to pay the extra charges involved in
bringing a neglected instrument up to pitch, of course. Your customer
might not be a piano player/musician but he might have friends who
are. I don't want some good musician friend coming over to play the
"just tuned" piano and after hearing it, says, "I thought you just
had this piano tuned!?" There goes my reputation with that musician!

Also, if there are children learning to play, it's important for a
piano to be up to pitch. Their ears are being trained as well as
their fingers!

On the rare occasion that I've tuned a piano to itself, here's the
basic process I used for over 25 years before I started using an ETD.

The low bass strings on a piano can only be a little flat before they
start sounding very "tubby", so since the bass is usually not as flat
as the middle and treble, I would usually start with low A (A0) and
tune the A's up to A4 and use that as my starting pitch. You might
also want to tune the higher A's just to get an idea if the treble is
appreciably flatter than the middle and lower sections.

Tune a very quick temperament and do your octaves and unisons from
there. One warning. Using this method (or any other, for that
matter), it's still likely the upper third or so of the instrument is
going to be flat enough to still need two passes even if you're only
tuning it to itself.

On a normal pitch raise, pulling sharp, if the piano was severely
flat as well as old, after setting the temperament, I might just tune
all the F's, then all the F#'s, etc. (I used an F to F temperament.)
My thoughts on this were that I was spreading out the tension change
more evenly on the soundboard and plate. I don't know if that's
really true or not, but that was why "I" did it that way.

Then go back and pull in the unisons. I'd usually start with the
bottom temperament note and go up. Then go down from the temperament
tuning the bass. Don't worry about getting a clean unison. They're
going to change anyway. Actually, I'd usually even pull the unisons
in a little sharp because I knew the middle string had already
dropped some. Just pull in the unisons as fast as you can go. The
point here is not wasting time trying to get really clean unisons
because on a severe pitch raise, they're going to change! They're
going to change some in other scenarios also, but that's a 'nuther story! :-)

When I'm doing a big pitch raise on an old instrument, if more than
one string in the middle broke, then I'd back off and tune it low. If
none broke until the high treble, I'd just go ahead and let them
break and then replace them. I'd also inform the customer that this
is what I'd be doing.

I'm going to assume that you tune aurally since you didn't mention
how many cents flat the instrument was.
If an instrument that age is severely flat, like 75-100 cents or
more, and I wanted to be cautious, I might not pull it sharp the
first time. Just pull it up to your fork, set a very quick
temperament (1-2 min.) and go. It's going to change anyway! That way
you can get a good idea of how the pins feel and how the strings feel
as they're being stretched. You'll probably eventually run into an
instrument where the strings feel like they've have no more stretch
in them and if you continue, they're going to break. Some usually
will. In a case like that, I'll inform the customer of the situation,
back off the pitch some and then tune it to itself. You really have
no choice, except for a restringing.

>I just tuned it to itself. It was the most horribly out of tune
>piano I have tuned in my short career.

Because of what you said here, if you don't already, let me advise
you to get at least a small roll of all the plain wire sizes and all
the tools needed to replace broken strings! I made that mistake on my
first tuning for pay! Needless to say, after I finally found someone
to come in and replace the string for me, I didn't make any money on
that tuning!

In a case like your's, the first thing I would do is to check some of
the pins on the worst notes to make sure the "horrible
out-of-tuneness" was not caused by loose tuning pins. But because of
what you mention below, it doesn't sound like it was in this case.

>When I was over, it still sounded terrible to me, but the customer
>was thrilled. He said it was the best he ever heard it sound (he's
>not a piano player). I was honest and didn't pretend that I was
>happy with how it sounded. I told him that it would take several
>tunings to make it sound good. He's having me back in six months to
>give it another tuning.

I agree with Bob and others on this. Six months is too long. Even
tuning it to itself, you probably had a lot of strings that were too
flat to stay with only one tuning. That's probably why it still
didn't sound good to you. I'd have gone for 1-3 months maximum.

After a large pitch raise (pulling sharp and going over it 2+ times),
I try to get the customer to have it retuned in at LEAST 1-3 months!
One month is best. Then again in app. 6 months.

>The pins seemed to twist before they moved, making the instrument
>very hard to tune. When I moved my tuning hammer, the pitch would go
>up, then go down when I released it.

If the pins are tight in the block, this would be a fairly normal
thing. One can almost always hear the pitch change before you can
feel the pin inside the block! No matter what the pitch does though,
the pin MUST move inside the block!

>I ended up very carefully applying constant pressure to the tuning
>hammer until I felt the tuning pin turn a little. It worked for me,
>though it took a long time. As far as hammer technique goes, was
>that something you would have done?

That's basically correct and everyone goes through having to learn to
deal with that to set the strings and pins. Some use a smooth pull
method like you said you did, some use a "jerk" type of method and
still others use an impact hammer.

One problem you're going to have now though, after doing the "tune it
where it was" tuning, is ever getting him to agree to the extra
expense of getting the instrument up to normal pitch. About the only
way you might could get him to do that now, is if there are children
taking lessons, as I said above. Also, if it ever needs to be played
with any other instrument besides a stringed one, it's not going to
be possible.

>Also, the piano had a sticker that boasted a 50 year guarantee on
>the sound board. How the heck could Story and Clark make a 50 year
>guarantee on the sound board? They'd have no idea what conditions
>the thing would be kept in. What did they make the thing out of? 2"
>thick plywood?

I believe Ron N. answered this one very eloquently! Diplomatically, also! :-D

This is just a way that worked well for me for many years. YMMV.

Now on a pitch raise, I use my SAT III and start at the bottom and go
up, unisons as I go. Others do it differently.

>Sam Choy

Avery Todd