Weird ringing - HELP!!

Terry Jack chief_retired at pacinfo.com
Mon Jul 24 23:33:23 MDT 2006

David,

thanks for the comments!

  Your finger will stop the overring but the damper won't (even when you press on it)?   You didn't mention that in your original post...

  Yes, this is the case

  Never the less it does not compute...on every random note that rings, you can stop the sound "completely?" by pressing on the string with your finger, but you can't press on the damper itself to stop the ringing?   I think we're missing some info here.

  I am in total agreement with you. It does not compute.

  Overrings in uprights are often bass dampers not doing the job...use a piece of wood with cloth glued to it to mute the bass strings and see what that does...mute off the high treble sections also...if no change check the back scale for missing string braiding...

  I will try your idea you not above

  Get back to us...

  Absolutley!!

  Terry Jack