Bernard pattern grand hammerhead extractor

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Jul 26 07:05:35 MDT 2006

At 6:41 am -0500 26/7/06, Porritt, David wrote:

>I've seen one of those but it has been many years ago.  I never
>thought I'd have the hand strength to actually remove a grand hammer
>with one so I never tried to acquire one.  Can a normal human
>actually remove a hammer with them?

Certainly, because of the multiplication in the leverage, the fact
that they're 9" long and the parallel action of the Bernard design.
The tool Terry mentions (thanks Terry), as you see, has neither
multiplication nor parallel action and would, from the look of it,
require superhuman strength.  My key-easing pliers  are of the same
pattern, probably from the same source.

The best quality tools of this pattern were made by Schollhorn before
Sargent took them over in 1945 (see
<http://www.rostratool.com/historical.asp>) and in the past a huge
variety of pliers etc. were available.  Not so now, it seems.

JD