Weird ringing - HELP!!

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Thu Jul 27 00:46:42 MDT 2006

Greetings,

         I am a newbie with a whopping 37 months in business. I have replaced
damper felts and never worried about the tension in the damper springs. The
ringing subsided in the old uprights that I have done, however, the ringing
could have been less. I am doing a damper job right now for a lady and this time,
I "massaged" the damper springs alittle to renew the tension,
        Friday I am going to her place to put the action in and glue the
dampers on the newly sanded blocks. I will see then the fruits (or not) of just
bending those springs very sliiightly. I did it when I had the levers off and
out while cleaning/sanding off the old felt in my shop.
         Actually, I asked the list here, that same question, about messaging
the old springs, and I guess no one caught the question, because I got no
response, so I figured I would just go ahead and re-tension them slightly, Here's
why:  I was told at tuning school that you can slightly bend the spring rail
(hammer) springs to re-juvinate the tension in uprights and also I was told
you can do it to the repittiion springs in a grand. They basically work the by
same principle as damper springs so I figured why not with the damper springs.
We shall see, Friday.

       So, I really cant give a definite answer on re-tentioning. I am
guessing. I also know there is a way to measure the tension, but I dont know what
gage to use or how to use it. This is on my list of things to check out.

Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA

In a message dated 7/25/2006 11:35:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,