near impossible tuning

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sun Mar 5 17:10:59 MST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Barbara Richmond [mailto:piano57 at insightbb.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 05, 2006 11:43 AM
To: deanmay at pianorebuilders.com; Pianotech List
Subject: Re: near impossible tuning

10 year old pianos that have never been voiced?   Eeeew.  This is your
chance to be a really big hero (that is, if the owners are wanting a
change).

Barbara Richmond

Well, there is part of the problem. The owners seem perfectly happy with
their pianos. And being an engineer with quantitative proclivities it is
difficult for me to sell a job to a customer where I cannot guarantee what
the results will be nor that they will like them.

I appreciate the responses. I've done the pre-voicing work Roger speaks of,
no problem there. Still does not improve what I consider poor sustain. I
want to believe that better quality hammers will help. I just don't want to
experiment with hundreds of dollars worth of time and material when the
customer isn't complaining.

Dean