updating client list

Tvak at aol.com Tvak at aol.com
Tue Mar 14 14:41:41 MST 2006

List

I am about to clean house.  I have about 100 clients that I haven't  heard
from in 3 years or longer.  (I stop sending reminder cards out after  two years
go by.)  Some of them are one-time clients; they probably didn't  like me and
have found someone else.  Others perhaps sold their pianos, or  their children
stopped taking lessons so they ceased keeping the piano in  tune.

I'd like to either bring these people back into the fold or delete them  from
my files.

I plan to send them all a letter, explaining that I was trying to  update my
'active customer files' and am writing them because I noticed that  their
piano hadn't been tuned since --/--/--.  I'd make mention of the fact  that pianos
should be tuned periodically whether they are being played or  not.  Then I'd
say I would be calling them in a week or so to see if they  would like to get
the piano tuned again and hopefully resume a regular  maintenance schedule
for the instrument.

Has anyone on the list ever done this and did you recover any of these
'lost' clients?  Any advice on the content of the letter?

I would then delete anyone who was no longer interested in my services and
clean up my client file to include only 'active' piano-owners.

Or would I be better off just leaving everyone where they are so that when  I
sell the business in 20 years, my client list is humongously long?

Tom Sivak
Chicago