Wurlitzer C173 (Young Chang) - lifting logo

Mike McCoy mjmccoy at usa.com
Thu Nov 2 09:35:23 MST 2006

I had this as well. Wasn't sure what glue to use either but went with a
medium CA, applied with applicators from a hobby shop (4" plastic with
brush or round applicator tip), and held the decal down briefly with the
Spurlock soundboard tool as you were thinking. Still attached a year later.

 Here is the  procedure I received from Samick at the time, but this
requires removing strings.My cust wasn't interested in paying to have it
done correctly.

*Repairing a peeling Samick soundboard decal*

In some rare cases where Samick decals have begun blistering or lifting
we recommend the following procedures for repair.
Clean the soundboard of any dust or dirt.  Thoroughly vacuum up as much
dust as possible

It is usually easier to remove strings around the sound board decal. As
few as 3, usually 8 to 10 strings should be removed.  Use caution, or
remove dampers around the area.  Carefully lower tension on the tenor
strings enough to remove them from the hitch pins and pull them aside.
Hold the strings out of the way with a piece of wire (copper preferred,
if available) or pull out of the way with string without removing from
hitch pins when possible.

In low temperature conditions it may be necessary to warm the old
decal.  Using a hot hair dryer (not a heat gun) warm the decal.  Slowly
peel off the old decal while it is warm.  Clean the area with naphtha
(NOT lacquer thinner or acetone based cleaners or thinners), paint
thinner might soften some nitrocellulose finishes; use caution.

Soak the new decal in water until soft (about one minute).  Wet the
sound board around the decal position.  Carefully slide the new decal
into position.  Blot dry and allow to dry thoroughly at least 2 hours
(over-night preferred).

After the decal is thoroughly dry carefully peel away the clear backing
leaving the decal ink on the soundboard.

Apply a clear coating of lacquer, allow to dry.

Replace strings and tune.

With a pressure sensitive decal:

Carefully position the new decal in the same location as the old decal.
Remove the backing and apply the decal from one edge avoiding bubbles.
Press firmly all around.

Reseal the new decal with a light coating of lacquer.

Reinstall the strings aligning to the hammers.  Reinstall the dampers if
they were removed and regulate.

Retune the piano.

Phil Glenn, RPT

Samick Technical Service Manager