Business: getting and keeping customers

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Sat Oct 7 11:15:21 MDT 2006

HI Julia,

I try to treat customers as I'd want to be treated.  No push and shove; a gentle reminder is sufficient

Clients with stable pianos, I put on a yearly calling schedule, and tell them if they need me sooner, feel free to call.

I tell most of my clients that they'll get a reminder card at 6 months, and that if they're in a hurry to get their pianos tuned, they should call me when they get the card, because I tend to get way behind in phone calls (implanting the "he's so busy, he must be good!" image).  I call once--Sundays ARE the best--and if I get a no, I tell them I'll call again in 6 months.

Postcards either get caught in stacks of junk mail or get magneted to the fridge.

I wouldn't suggest dire consequences if clients don't get their pianos tuned.  The saying "there are no piano emergencies" works both ways.

Dave Stahl

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net