Steinway parts cost

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Mon Feb 11 20:43:05 MST 2008

Here’s the price list.

Greg Newell

Greg's Piano Forté

www.gregspianoforte.com

216-226-3791 (office)

216-470-8634 (mobile)

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Alan Barnard
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 4:46 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: RE: Steinway parts cost

One of my favorite stories was the customer who insisted--firmly--that ONLY
S&S parts be put in his vintage grand (an "O", as I recall, he's since left
the area). So, I ordered a pair of replacement wound strings for D2 from
Steinway.

They were drop-shipped from Mapes and the bill was substantially more than
it would have been had I ordered them direct from Mapes. I put the usual
mark-up on the strings and the customer paid, but was not thrilled when I
let him in on the "joke".

So Steinway or Mapes? Steinway or Renner?

Ignorance is so expensive!

And does Steinway print a parts catalog or price list? Not to my knowledge,
and certainly won't have it on the web, I'm sure. When I ordered those
strings, I asked if a parts list or catalog was available and the S&S guy
just said: "Tell me what you want", in such a voice that I could clearly
sense that he was looking down his nose at this little hick from the shticks
like he was a recent lottery winner and I'd just called to tell him I was
his mother's sister's third child's brother-in-law and could I borrow some
money.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

  _____