[CAUT] Checking

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Dec 28 18:15:07 MST 2006

Hi Jon,
    I generally agree, on new work. Facing a piano with existing parts, in
unknown condition, is the scenario I was writing about. Yes, the 2mm or so
works well (assuming a standard drop equal to letoff, and measured just as
it drops, not with some undetermined, usually too large aftertouch as I seem
to find all too often). If you aren¹t careful to set up your keyframe to
match key dip in the piano, this can be anyone¹s guess as a measurement.
    Faced with a tail profile that is unknown, one can remove a hammer and
do an approximate compass thing using a bit of thread, holding one end about
2.5 to 3 inches along the shank, and with a loop on the other end scribe
with a pencil point. But usually I just observe it passing the check on the
upstroke to see whether it has a bump and how bad.
    And, of course, tail length is what it is. It¹s nice to control what you
put on, but you also have to try to make the existing part work far too
often <G>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico