soundboard troubles

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 21:06:42 -0500

I KNOW I am not qualified to provide a complete answer to your questions,
but here goes because no one else has posted a response. The first question
is should we replace or rebuild the soundboard. If you want it like new, for
sure, replace it (doesn't really matter about the cracks - it's 80 years
old!). If the client would rather not replace it if not completely
necessary, then if it had some crown AND it is not warped, consider
rebuilding it. Make sure to check for a wavy/warped soundboard. Do the
string test under the soundboard and look very closely in the area of the
bridges. Sometimes a soundboard with "crown" will be sunk/inverted in the
area of the bridges.

If you have a good shape AND the board is not falling out of the piano (glue
joints appear adequate), AND the owner isn't interested in making the piano
as good or better than new, rebuild it. Big cracks and separation at the
cracks is the rule rather than the exception. I use the Spurloc system for
routing out the crack. Go as wide as you need. Don't hesitate to go REAL
wide if needed. After routing, use little clamping boats (I'll email you
pictures if you want) to reglue the edges that have separated from the ribs.
Glue in shims. Walla! Amazing things you can do to an old soundboard.

My info is that an A.B.Chase is a good to very good quality piano. If the
owner wants to make the piano really nice, REPLACE the soundboard. AND I
highly recommend rescaling and installing PREMIUM bass strings. I use
Sanderson AccuString for both and would not consider using anyone else.

Brian Trout is in PA, has done a number of soundboards, and will be real
honest with you. You might want to chat with him.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com