Gluing wippen

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:33:54 -0500

Align the grain of the veneer 90 degrees to the split.

Another method would be to CA glue the split and apply fiberglass cloth to
the side.

No matter what your repair method, move the wippen to a less utilized note.
The main concern will be the damper spoon. If it is in the bass , move it
to note 2 (B b).
If it's beyond the dampers place it on note 86 (B b). Why B flat? Because
generally those
notes are not struck by the passing child or general noise-maker, and would
be hit with
less force.  If the wippen in question is in the tenor/treble damper realm,
keep your fingers crossed.

On old uprights which have seen better days, I have gone so far as to
replace a crippled wippen in this manner:
Place the poor unfortunate on note 86. Place # 86 on the last note which
has a damper and remove the underlever,
leaving it in repose inside the piano. Place that 'last damper' wippen in
the 'physically challenged' wippen's spot.
Adjust the damper spoon.  Advise the owner to use caution when pounding.

Regards,
Jon Page