Climate Control Promotion

Roger Wheelock roger@dampp-chaser.com
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:01:56 -0500

Hello Terry,

The switch in our Humidistat has a synthetic polymer band.  You can see =
it if you look through the vent holes on the side of the Humidistat.  It =
will either be a clear polymer band or a white woven polymer band.

As moisture flows into the Humidistat the band absorbs moisture and =
swells.  Eventually it swells enough to trigger a mechanical switch =
which energizes the Dehumidifier outlet and shuts off the Humidifier =
outlet.  Then drier air enters the Humidistat and the band begins to =
shrink.  Eventually it shrinks enough to trigger a second mechanical =
switching action which causes the Humidifier outlet to be energized and =
the Dehumidifier outlet to be shut off.

In our humidity controlled test rooms the cycle generally takes 3-4 =
hours with the Humidifier being on two thirds of the time and the =
Dehumidifier being on a third of the time.  Say we have a system =
installed in a vertical piano and we have a backside cover on the =
instrument.  A typical calibration for the Humidistat would be a lower =
set point of 39% relative humidity and an upper set point of 45%.  If we =
place a good hygrometer probe on the Humidistat and record the readings =
during the cycling we can see a range of 35% to 65% relative humidity.  =
So we can get up to 20% "overshoot" on humidification and a few percent =
on "dehumidification".  Now after cycling has been established we bring =
the test room relative humidity up to 70% and hold it there for several =
weeks.  The soundboard stabilizes after a few days at an equilibrium =
moisture content of 8.0% and then remains there +/- .1%.  Then we lower =
the relative humidity in the test room to 20% and again hold it there =
for a few weeks.  The equilibrium moisture content of the soundboard =
restabilizes at 7.2% and then remains there +/- .1%.  Then we conduct =
the test again, but without a Climate Control System.  At 70% relative =
humidity in the room the soundboard stabilizes at 10.8% equilibrium =
moisture content.  At 20% relative humidity the sounboard stabilizes at =
5.0% equilibrium moisture content.  So the System reduces the =
differential from almost 6% to 0.8%.  With a Backside Vertical System or =
a Grand System with an undercover we can get down to a differential of =
0.2%.  My point is that even though the piano is seeing a controlled =
repeatable cycle of relative humidity which is larger than one might =
expect, the soundboard equilibrates and provides pitch stability to the =
instrument.

Electronic sensors measure relative humidity by evaluating changes in =
resistance or capacitance in the air.  Capacitor based systems are =
generally more accurate and more expensive.  All electronic sensors =
react within a few minutes to a change in relative humidity.  The least =
expensive equilibrate within 30 minutes and these are what you find in =
the inexpensive hygrometers.  Very expensive ones equilibrate very =
quickly.  While they are called electronic sensors they really are in a =
sense measuring electrochemical events.  The responsive of the sensors =
deteriorates with time, as I understand it, due to films building on the =
sensor points resulting in a variable response to measuring the =
electrochemical event.  Thus they drift over time, so they require =
replacement or recalibration.  The very expensive hygrometers we use are =
not immune to this.  We have to return them to the factory for =
recailibration annually.  What we are looking for at Dampp-Chaser is an =
affordable electronic sensor that has minimal drift and a fast response. =
 So far we haven't found it.

I hope this helps.

Roger

ps - Terry, I am copying some of my staff on this as Tammy and Mitch =
help me with technical customer service.  I hope you don't mind.
  ----- Original Message -----=20