Jeannie Grassi post on teaching

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 15:24:53 -0800

Dear Willis,
I am honored and humbled by your response to my message.  I still look to
you as an one of the best examples of teaching excellence in our
organization.  Your classes have gone a long way to help many of us improve
our skills throughout the years.  Thank you so much for that.

I don't know about the young part, but I am thrilled to be able to give back
to PTG even a small portion of what I've received.  Thank you, again,

jeannie
Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Assistant Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jgrassi@silverlink.net

  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Vilsnyder@AOL.COM
  Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2001 1:30 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Jeannie Grassi post on teaching

  Dear Jeannie,
  What wonderful. good, solid advice you have given about training someone
new
  to the piano service field. This post should be reprinted in the PTG
Journal.
  It sure is accurate  & is based on a lot of experience, & well meaning.
  One of the advantages that a starting Tech had many years ago was that
most of
  the music stores had large numbers of stock pianos on the floor & in
  inventory,
  waiting to be sold & Techs would go to work for the dealer & do stock
tuning
  every day  & this would help to develop their skill. The charge to the
dealer
  was
  1/2 the price of the tuning price to the home. When I started, the average
  home
  price for a standard tuning was four dollars!. Also, after a piano was
sold,
  the
  store Tech would go out & give a "free" tuning to the customer. The Tech
was
  paid 1/2 the regular customer charge & in some cases, the Tech was allowed
  keep the customer as their own, & thus could build a business. Othe
dealers
  kept
  the customers for themselves & all future service was done through the
store.
  All
  that system is mostly gone now, & so, it is a lot more difficult for a new
  Tech to
  get established. Our trade needs new people, & your words of wisdom are a
  helpful guideline to those training & those desireing to become Piano
  Technicians. One final word to you & others- It's wonderful to see young
  people
  such as yourself,  come along and take the reins of leadership in our
trade &
  PTG, which will ensure it's future & be better.
  Regards,    Willis Snyder