voicing w/ alc/water

Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:33:07 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erwinpiano" <Erwinpiano@email.msn.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 19, 2001 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: voicing w/ alc/water

> Hi Del
> Would you mind revealing the price on line ( of stwy A 3)or should I call.
> Was wondering what current types of hmmr. your  using.

It's $48K. Ebony, with standard bench.

This particular piano has the Abel's I described. Typically we use Steinway
(obtained without their shaping and/or hardening), Isaacs or Ronsen (both
varieties). Our pianos tend to require very soft hammers. We ended up with
Abel's on this A as an experiment. We check in once in a while to see if
anything has changed. As I said in the post on the hammers, we were prepared
to take them off and start over, hence the radical 'voicing' treatment. We
didn't care if they were ruined. Fortunately, the procedure worked quite
well, though I don't look forward to doing it again real soon. Way too much
time and work. I'd much rather start with a hammer that has some semblance
of resiliency to begin with.

Del