SV: tuning timing

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:18:24 EST

In a message dated 1/22/01 7:08:05 PM Central Standard Time,
pianola@online.no (Ola Andersson) writes:

> I got a tip from the great Dr. Jim Coleman that sometimes appear on this
> list that help me alot.
> For a bad piano (wich I often get) I first do a pitch raise then a rough
> tuning and then I start to tune.
> This stabilise the pressure on the bridge so the treble don't fool you
> after tuning the tenor part. Also by this time you have pitch rasied the
> bass so not very much will happen with the pressure when you tune it. This
> way I don't have to fight with the last octave. When I feel I start to
> fight and move the strings to much  I rather do a quick rough tuning and
> then starts to tune again. Jim Coleman said this way was faster and I've

I learned the same thing from Jim Coleman Sr RPT now 22 years ago.  It was as
true then as it is now.  His partner in the lecture also confirmed this with
the saying I always keep in mind, (paraphrasing), "You can tune it twice or
even 3 times or more faster and easier than you can fight with it once".
Believe it, my friends, it's true.  Even if it's just one section such as the
treble or high treble which is too far off, you will be able to finsh the job
sooner and have a more stable piano by doing a rough tuning as quickly as
possible, followed by a fine tuning than if you attempt to fine tune any
portion of the piano which is off pitch.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin