Bridge Recap Time

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 07:51:12 -0500

> I trust that answers your question.

Almost, but not quite. I like your idea of complete replacement. The reason
I epoxied was that I knew it would work, but I have not recapped a bridge
yet, and I was darned sure I wasn't going to do my first one in front of a
client in their home. At least if I can get the task into my shop I can make
all the reversible errors I may be inclined to make and just do it over, and
over, and over.

Take the old bridge off. Go to my shop make a lot of errors. Finally get it
right. Re-install. I like it. I will do it that way next time.

The one question. I know how to get a bass bridge off that just falls off.
And I know how to get a bass bridge off from a soundboard that is going to
be scrapped. BUT, how do you go about removing a bass bridge that is
well-attached without wrecking the board or bridge or apron? AND do you
generally remove the apron from the board, or the bridge from the apron -
assuming you are not working on one of Del's designs. Oh, please enlighten
me.

And remember, here you are in the "Land of a Little Bit of Mercy". Maybe.
Depending on your answer.  ;-)  Thanks

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida