noisy dampers

Cameron Jacobi harlip58@yahoo.com
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:37:23 -0800 (PST)

One of my customers asked me to come and check out his
new Hallet & Davis grand piano.  He said it was making
a funny noise in the bass section.  When I did check
it out (I'm not sure which company is producing pianos
with the Hallet & Davis label these days) I found that
the noise was coming from the dampers.  When you press
the damper pedal, it makes a whooshing sound, much
like the lingering sound after cymbals are struck.

I don't know what is causing the noise, and I have not
yet disassembled the piano, nor do I care to if I can
avoid it.  This is one of those pianos with a terrible
tone - probably either hammers that are of poor
quality, or haven't been voiced, or both -   One
technician suggested that perhaps the noise was coming
from the felt rubbing against the damper wires, in
which case, I might trying applying some protek to
each of the damper wire channels.

Can anyone suggest any other simple measures that I
might try, before I go to the trouble of disassembling
the instrument?

Thank you,

Harriet Lipman