Kawai Underlever Tray

Carol Beigel carolrpt@hotmail.com
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 17:01:41 -0500

Actually, there is a neat little trick to this.  Kawai actually came out
with a "technical paper" or some such years ago that explained how to
replace the damper tray flanges without removing the dampers.  Perhaps it is
still available (I will look on the Journal CD) and so are the replacement
flanges.

The gist of the "trick" is to:

1) remove the screws that hold the damper guide rails onto the soundboard

2)remove the damper upstop rail, or wedge it very, very high

3) lift up and forward (towards the keys) on the unscrewed damper guide
rails so the damper levers are now up and out of the way of the damper tray

4) use a LONG screwdriver (10-12 inches) to remove from the top of the
strings, the screws that hold these tray flanges to the damper tray

Actually, once you get the hang of this, the entire repair or replacement of
the tray flanges takes less than an hour1

Good luck!

Carol Beigel, RPT