Last Hurrah?/ broken strings

Ritchiepiano@AOL.COM Ritchiepiano@AOL.COM
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:02:51 EST

List
 I read with some interest the voluminous posts regarding broken bass strings,
and somehow take comfort in the knowledge that, it appears to be a universal
problem regardless of make, model, size or geographic location. I must admit
to having tried all of the mentioned solutions with little long term benefit.
    One driver may wear out a set of brakes or clutch or tires in a short
time.
Another driver may go thousands of miles further with no problems in the
same model car.
     In this situation, I feel re-scaling would be a waste of time and money.
De-regulating the piano only makes the pianist play harder. Not to mention
that the piano, by this point, is probably out of regulation enough. Hammers
have been dressed several times they are smaller, the centers are
loose, key bushings are shot, backchecks etc. all in a couple of years.
Some pianos live a pampered life and some spend it in the trenches.
    The advice of one  respondent "make the piano player pay"
may have been the best advice, and the only one I haven't tried.
Get a new set of bass strings leave them at the church. Tie the broken
ones when possible, replace when necessary.
Pianos break. People can break pianos. You fix broken pianos.
Isn't life Grand!

infrequent contributor
mark ritchie rpt

>>Altering the regulation to reduce power might be the only way to solve this
problem. Decrease hammer blow, increase let off, and reduce key dip. With the
monitor in place, the pianist can hear herself, and play as hard she wants,
but not create as much damage. Don't over do any of the three steps, but
enough to decrease the power. She might not even notice. <<

Willem