Sohmer Grand

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 18 May 2001 08:36:29 -0400

That is a tough situation. Obviously the work should be done right - =
taken apart and done so that it will work well for at least 25 years. =
Any piano that is sold as being "reconditioned" suggests that all the =
things not right have been fixed.

I read a response that suggested to run, not walk away from that job. In =
theory, I agree, although I temper that with knowing that it is not =
always easy to walk away from a job. However, I think it is clear that =
you can expect more of this in the future from your employer. I hate =
that crap.

I have the luxury of making stupid, shortsighted commitments to clients, =
realizing that the piano actually needs more work, and then just doing =
the additional work without charge because I should have known and it is =
the only way to make the piano right. I have this luxury because I work =
for myself. Such a luxury does not often exist when working at a dealer =
(or something of that sort).
=20
Someone else made a post suggesting that you do the repair as dictated =
by your employer, but to make a clear record of which flanges you =
glued/screwed, etc. That is probably good advice. Do as good a repair as =
possible without getting your boss on your back. While at the same time, =
think seriously about looking for another job (if this type of approach =
is common-place) or setting out on your own.

I could NEVER work for anyone else EVER again (except of course for my =
piano clients!!! - I love 'em!!!). ARG!!!

Hey, I grew up in St. Clair Shores. Where are you in the Detroit/Windsor =
area?
  ----- Original Message -----=20