More EBVT Data

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 01:48:32 EDT

In a message dated 10/7/02 10:15:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
HazenBannister@cs.com writes:

> Hi list,
> I know there have been bad times on this list for Bill,and others.We've
> probally all been at fault at times,for things we should not have
> written,said,or done.But,here lately I have really enjoyed Bill's posts,and
> have found them not only informative,but also encouraging to some of the
> people he was replying to.I only hope we will respond to each other, the
> way we would like to be responded to.
> Best always,
> Hazen Bannister

Thank you, Hazen,

The good thing about having to disprove the malicious statements made by Ed
Foote is that I now know quite a bit than I did before.  I could have long
ago asked Owen Jorgensen for the theoretical model of my temperament idea but
never saw the need for it.  I thank Kent Swafford for the suggestion that
this would be the only way to solve the riddle of why the so-called
"correction figures" that so many people want to use were so elusive.

>From tauntings about being inconsistent, ever changing, efforts to ridicule
and discredit, I can stand straight up and firmly say that I have been right
about what I've been doing all along.  The fact is that the aural
instructions I had used for many years were not exactly theoretically
correct.  It took one very slight specification and the switching of 1 pure
5th for another to make them so.

But the fact remains that the theoretically imperfect instructions worked
perfectly on many pianos, namely the Steinway B on which I originally
designed the EBVT for rehearsals of the local opera and symphony chorus.
When those instructions didn't work exactly right, I instinctively made the
small corrections it took to make the temperament scheme work.  These
corrections aren't necessarily the ones that make the aural temperament
sequence theoretically correct, either.

There ends up being a large, cummulative effect and difference between the
end product of one person who *listens* and studies every day, always trying
to find ways to improve and perfect, and the results of merely regurgitating
published information and feeding it into an ETD where the stretch amount and
octaves are determined by the limitations of devices and calculations which
are themselves, still in a state of development and flux.

I've said it before and I'll have to say it again:  some of the data on the
graph that Jason Kanter made shows awkward imperfections in temperament
construction.  That much is true.  The simple reason for it is the aural
instructions, when taken literally in a *theoretical* analysis produce what
Jason has on that chart.  But surely, those obvious errors would not be made
by anyone experienced in tuning Well Tempered Tunings.

So there is the problem as I see it.  This one guy, for whatever reason, has
tried to demean, discredit, belittle, mock, laugh at, discourage and deny
dignity to me beginning some 10 years ago.  As soon as his views clashed with
mine on this list, he was right at it again and has been constantly and
consistently ever since. At one point he even threatened me with physical
violence.  Why didn't *he* make the helpful suggestions others did?  Why did
he choose negative and aggressive behavior instead?

My reaction?  Yes, reaction, I'm told it's not good to have a *reactive*
personality but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.  It reminds me
of the time in elementary school where there was this one dumb kid, really
well below average, who used to pick on me constantly, daily.  We were taught
to ignore this kind of behavior.  But my Dad told me not to stand for nor
take it when I told him of how long it had been going on.  So, one day, after
finally having far more than enough, I hauled off and really smacked that kid
one good.

Of course, he cried and bawled to the teacher, "WAAAAHHHH!  Billy Bremmer
*hit* me!"  "Oohhh, sob, sniff, sob, sob".  My parents were called, not the
other kid's. They had to appear and my teacher and the school principal told
them I had *perpetrated* a violent, unprovoked *attack*.  I was kicked out.
My Dad told me, however that he was proud of me for what I did and ever
since, when I see this kind of behavior, my reaction to it is to throw it
right back in the perpetrator's face.  He will be the victim of his own
malice.

I haven't taken down yet from my website Jason's graph because the
corrections which need to be made are relatively minor in comparison to the
parts which are correct and the overall *brilliant* concept that Jason came
up with.  That's good enough for me.  I'll leave it there until Jason creates
a new graph and is satisfied that it matches Owen Jorgensen's work.

I have many friends and supporters, my website is very active with daily
inquiries. Jason Kanter, Ron Koval and Kent Swafford have been able to
maintain interest and a cool, scientific attitude about what I do all along.
I don't care at all about what any of the jackasses who write several
one-liner posts a day, complete with bad grammar and spelling think or have
to say.  Go dial in your numbers copied out of a book, just like Ed Foote
says to do or even better, use the standard program, it will be the best any
of you could or ever would *want* to do.

I'm interested in pianos, their tuning and all other aspects of service.
That's why I participate on this and other lists and that's why I belong to
PTG.  I don't agree at all with the concept of equality, either in
temperament or of people.  I have seen this mindset in PTG where one should
avoid trying to do something better than the rest in order to not *offend*
anyone.  Finding a better way is often not popular because it makes people
feel uncomfortable and questioning of their own practices which they have
long trusted.

I'm going to keep on doing what I've been doing for so long now and I will
never be satisfied that I have achieved perfection.  I'm also going to keep
this screen name for my Pianotech work as a permanent reminder that if you
try to discredit me maliciously, you're going to be sorry you did and you're
never going to hear the end of it.

"Yankee Doodle went to town, Yankee Doodle, Dandy,
Stuck a feather in his cap and called it "Macaroni'!"

Bill Bremmer RPT, Inventor of the "Sideways Well" Temperament
Madison, Wisconsin
www.Billbremmer.com