Piano Lac Finish

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:45:11 EDT

In a message dated 10/16/2002 11:38:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
bases-loaded@juno.com writes:

> Subj:Re: Piano Lac Finish
> Date:10/16/2002 11:38:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:bases-loaded@juno.com">bases-loaded@juno.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet

                 Mark
 Thank you so much for this description. It was imenseley helpful.
         I just finished another mahogony sample board this am. Although it
still had some open grain from spraying to heavy it came out fairly well
untill I got to the final rubout. With nitro cell we sand the final gloss
coats with 600 wet then finish with steel wool and polish for a semi but
glossyier than semi gloss appearance . We get a very translucent finish
starting out with a water dye. But when trying a similar rubout on the water
base gloss the end result is not as clear but kind of hazy. It's much better
than when we first started. Mr. Gutlo sent me a mahogony piece nicely
polished  and the clarity is stunning but I don't wish to do polished
finnishes. So my question is what kind of rubout are you doing. How's the
clarity? Whats the process? I'll can't except anything muddy / hazy looking
myself.
   By the way what product are you using????????
    Thanks again. Still grinding away in Modesto>>>>Dale Erwin