Steinway Parts (again)

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 11:16:07 EDT

Matthew writes:
Well, thank you list for the responses, and for making me feel like an idiot.
Hi Matthew,

I'm sorry that some of the responses were less respectful than they could
have been. That is unnecessary. The technicians I respect most realize how much
they have yet to learn, and are the most humble.

Earlier Steinways were designed with a different key ratio, a lighter hammer,
and a different knuckle placement on the shank than is used in current
production. The factory's first response to rebuilders was to provide a "pre-1984"
shank (made by Renner) which was the same knuckle placement as the older
instruments. However, matched with the heavier modern hammer, this made for a lot of
klunky actions which certainly didn't feel "like Steinways." In addition, the
Steinway hammer has always been fairly soft. This becomes more problematic
when it is also made heavier, in that a heavier hammer requires increased
stiffness to produce the high partials. In some cases this requires so much lacquer
that the resilience of the hammer is reduced beyond its capacity to produce a
tone with good dynamic shading, and actually robs real power.

Factory parts went through a period of terrible quality, and only recently
have returned to very high standards of accuracy. I have experienced some
pinning problems (as with Renner and Abel), but the traveling has improved
immensely.

Current production parts will function on older instruments, but the changed
leverage changes the keydip/blow distance ratio unusably, in my opinion. We
have been using the factory repetitions for four or five years, but are happy
that other shank executions are available from the aftermarket.

Bob Davis