Sneaky Steinway

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 10:44:36 +1000

Alan and all,

At 7:21 PM -0700 7/8/04, Alan Forsyth wrote:

>It is a Steinway. This one has the third bridge. What amazes me is
>that the speaking length of the first wound string in the tenor, C
>sharp 29, is about 13 inches shorter than its neighbouring plain
>string.

That's because this Steinway (early O) was a serious attempt at
building a quality piano in this size. With their later instruments,
it would seem that the serious endeavour transformed into one of
making a buck. Note that these early pianos have very thick rim
sections for a piano of this size. In an effective scale design the
speaking length must be shortened between the last plain strings and
the first covers (as they are on this piano). D30 is the lowest plain
strung note on this piano, which is a better place to break on a
piano of this length, but no manufacturer today has the courage to do
it. Most 'designers' are still stuck on note C28 - Bfl26 as the
lowest plain strung treble note. Try it on the scaling sheet. It
can't and doesn't work.

>  The bass break starts at note E20.

Indeed. But in this piano the real break is at C#29/D30. However the
first few covered notes on the tenor bridge are also trichords. These
should be ditched and the piano re-scaled so that it has bichords
from E20 right through to C#29. The suspended bass bridge needs to go
as well. The speaking length on A1 will need to be reduced to about
135 cm from the original 140. Inner rims don't make good sound boards.

This model had a compression crowned board with quite shallow
soundboard ribs, and they mostly are collapsed. These pianos would be
a good candidates for rescaling and redesigning the sound board
(while keeping the tenor bridge). Actually its the only six foot
length piano which is worth remanufacturing (all manufacturers
included).

>   As you can now see the capo bar is only in the treble. The tenor
>and bass has the agraffes which made the piano an absolute pig to
>tune. The strings kept jumping back into the kink created by the
>agraffes.

Poor rendering is common with these pianos. However, the problem is
that the understring felt is binding with the strings, making
rendering almost impossible. When destringing these pianos, try
running your finger along the underside of the original strings
(which look shiny and clean underneath). You'll notice that there are
very small rough spots on the wire. These cause the strings to bind
on the understring felt. I hold designs where the counterbearng
segments are bearing hard on the understring felt in low regard. The
Bechsteins with their very wide felt bearings become a tuners
nightmare when they get older. When restringing pianos with this type
of layout, we fit a counterbearing bar between the tuning pin fields
and the felt. If the bar is set to take most of the load off the
understring felt the rendering will be significantly improved.
Furthermore, the practice of setting a too-short distance between the
bearing felt and agraffe (as Steinway and Bechstein still do) tends
to restrict the tone a little. I notice that Yamaha seem to have
discovered that this is a problem also. Their later pianos have more
free string distance between agraffe and bearing felt. We've been
increasing the free segment length to around 20 mm in retrung pianos
since 1995.

>If anyone knows the model designation please tell me. The serial #
>is 90964.  (1899)
>
>The soundboard is plastered in decals dedicated to kings and queens,
>emperors and many other a%"&*%*# 's governing Europe at the time, so
>it is definitely a Hamburg.

This model always was smothered with 'Royal spruke'.

Ron O
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers