Locating Tuning Pin Holes

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:05:27 -0700

Terry,
Regarding "re"-locating the holes on an open faced block: I've used =
Mylar. What a pain in the butt that stuff is! Yes it's accurate and =
dimensionally stable, but it's a pain to use, (fitting in/around =
obstacles, etc.). I prefer the paper pattern. I prefer Butcher paper; =
the kind that has a plastic backing and is white. That way if there are =
things to correct, you can draw on the pattern, etc. Once I've got the =
paper pattern, I check to see if all the pin rows are in a straight =
line, vertically, Horizontally and especially Diagonally. If there were =
little foibles, the diagonal will tell you. <G> One area, that this, =
sometimes, does not applyto, is right at the "break" area of tenor to =
bass. A lot of times the designer tended to "crowd" the string pattern =
in that area.  One other thing, I've learned is: before removing the =
strings, check to see if there are strings that are riding on other =
tuning pins, etc. take good notes and you shouldn't have too much of a =
problem. Also, it is best to have a good Drilling Fixture, that will not =
allow the drill bit to "wonder". I recall yours, so you shouldn't have =
too much trouble there, either. I'd use a short bit to cut down on the =
bit flex. Hope that help's
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I