Tuning with a fork......Sanderson...

David M. Porritt dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 08:39:00 -0500

Ric:

Double reed players do indeed have the smallest window of usable=
 pitch.  The piano in the double reed studio here at SMU is tuned=
 to 442 at the teachers' request.  Both the oboe/english horn=
 teacher and the bassoon teacher are Dallas Symphony players and=
 since DSO tunes to 442 they need their piano tuned there.  If a=
 bassoon player needs to tune to 440 they will need a different=
 bocal made for 440.  The pros generally will have those, but=
 many others don't have multiple bocals.

Oh yes, that pitch stability is the reason that the orchestra=
 tunes to the oboe player.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275
dporritt@mail.smu.edu

From: Richard Moody <remoody@midstatesd.net>
To: 'Pianotech' <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: RE: Tuning with a fork......Sanderson...

Joe,
    If you  produce a musician (oboist you say) who says their=
 instruments get weird outside of 2 cents deviation I will take a=
 fresh  look (with them) at my premise that you completely=
 disagree with.  I know a few musicians but have never asked them=
 if  2 cents or two cycles per second is a big  deal and wonder=
 if they know the difference.   We ultimately work for the=
 musicians.  If they really want to play to a piano no more than=
 one half a cycle  per second off, we should hear from them and=
 offer our services accordingly.
    It is worth $100 for me to see if an oboist can indeed tune=
 aurally within 2 cents before concert and I would ask to see =
 how far off he or she is off immediately after performance.   =
 You gotta pay scale after all.....
    If we want to find out how much pitch floats during=
 performance we (piano tuners) have the machines to find out.   I=
 am betting it is much more than we think. And the piano floats=
 the most.(Is my guess) I am willing to put time into settling=
 this issue once and for all.  But the bottom line is who will=
 fuss if the piano is 438.5 for performance nite?  Sometimes it=
 happens.   Life goes on----the music sounds good...whether at=
 438 or 442 and no matter what the oboist says. :)  How much do=
 your pianos for performance float?

 ---ric

"Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely."
Auguste Rodin (1840-1917); French sculptor.