Bandsaw Veneer Cutting

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 01:17:35 +1100

Hi all,

At 7:13 PM -0500 14/1/04, Terry Farrell wrote:
>Thanks Greg, but how do you go about cutting an exactly 1.0 mm thick
>veneer - not 1.1 mm, not 0.9 mm, but 1.0 mm? My saw is the first bandsaw I
>ever cut a stick on, so I'm sure there are some basic techniques that I am
>simply ignorant of.
>
>Terry Farrell

Terry, the problem of minimising wastage when resawing is common. You
won't get within 0.1 mm accuracy with a bandsaw, but if its properly
set up it is possible to get a moderately smooth cut surface off the
saw.

However, in my experience new blades never run true on the saw when
first installed. Even the figure eight packing of the blade during
delivery is sufficient to cause a wondering blade. Before using a new
blade it is well worth spending half a hour with a straight edge, a
small hammer and a trued and straight block of soft wood to pene the
blade straight.

With the blade at cutting tension advance the blade by hand a few
inches at a time, while at each point checking the lie of the blade
between the upper guide system and the table. You will find the the
blade doesn't lie in a straight line all the way around when you
check it with a straight edge. With the soft wood block supporting
the blade on the concave side I gently work the blade around the
centre of the bow. This procedure is continued until I get right
around the blade. If the blade has the teeth accurately set (and the
blade joint is straight), you won't believe the improvement after
straightening the blade. The blades I use are Simons Red Streak 2"
wide with a 35 thou back, a 20 thou tooth set with a 1' pitch. Its
really a bit small for resawing deep boards (max depth under the
guide is 14")  but its all I can afford at the present time until we
get a few more pianos out. If these blades travelled absolutely
straight and didn't vibrate they would cut with a width of 75 thou.
If I put a new blade on and try it without straightening it, it will
often cut a width of 120 thou. After straightening it will typically
cut 85 to 95 thou (around 2.5 mm).

I have also found that the feed rate is critically important the
quality of cut. If the feed rate is too slow the blade will vibrate
and cause a lot a of wastage, while too fast a rate will cause the
blade to wonder off line.

On the work front we're currently re-boarding a 1962 Hamburg Steinway
D (the original board had a reverse crown in front of the bridge in
the killer octave) and a Kawai KG5 at the same time as we're building
our own piano no. 5. The D is getting a laminated bass corner
cutt-off, an extra back beam to replace the bell, and an additional
new cut-off area in the treble. I'm planning to take images for the
web site soon once I get the cut-offs glued in place. Tomorrow I'm
feathering the ribs on no. 5's board, so it will likely be the
weekend before I get around to taking images of the D. I'm quite
looking forward to hearing this reworked D, since the client has
given us a brief to incorporate our new sound board design as well.

Best,
Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY