Key Excursion

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Tue Apr 18 11:04:12 MDT 2006

David Love writes:
Sometimes people are sensitive to strange things.  While those things have
often fallen into the range of "normal", I'm not averse to trying to find
the pea in the mattress...as long as the meter is running.
-THE- single best educational opportunity in my career has been "crazy"
clients. Over and over I find that when a client tells me he feels or hears
something, he feels or hears something. It might not be something that bothers me or
others, it might not be something that is easy or cheap or even possible to
fix; but the search for an explanation (to both myself and the client) ALWAYS
leads to a better understanding of the subtleties of this enormously complex
instrument. It changes the desire for a crabby dismissal into a cheerful
detective story. If it's going to be costly, I don't "warn" the client, I simply "let
him know," which relieves it of any emotional content for both of us, and
creates a partnership.

I applaud David's taking this person seriously. While David, being a pianist,
might be more inclined to take this person seriously, a technician doesn't
have to be a pianist to get immense satisfaction from the challenge of playing
Superdective.

Bob Davis