loose ethics

Marcel Carey mcpiano at videotron.ca
Sat Dec 30 04:55:55 MST 2006

Hi Tom,

I agree with you that your responsable to let the different parties
involved informed of the situation. But, on the other hand, the
manufacturer has a right to have the piano inspected by the technician
of their choice to confirm your findings. If they wouldn't do that, they
could be taken for rides. Companies have to protect themselves from not
so honest and/or knowledge able technicians. I should know since I'm one
of these company techs (not full time but on a contract).

Now, I don't remember from your original post how long ago was the first
report made to the store tech. Was that report written? This is
important. Was the phone message delivered to the proper person? You
could find this out by calling the store owner and discussing what your
findings are with him. Be sure to tell him that if you or the customer
don't hear from them in a certain time you will feel obliged to inform
the customer. Try to highlight to the store that you are just looking
out for their best interest on the long run.

These matters often take time,  but keep written reports and log your
contacts with the store so the owner can't blame you for not acting.
With records of conversation on hand, I will be easier for you to clear
up misunderstandings if problems develop.

Just my 2 canadian pennies,

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC