Calling Potential Clients

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Fri Apr 25 07:09:18 MDT 2008

Just because I live 2,500 miles away from Jon, doesn't mean people won't see the need for my services, lol.  No seriously, though, I am not at the bottom of the heap here.  I've hit a gold mine with no good techs in my area before I came.  I've already found that there is one tuner in the area, or shall I say "tooner".  He can't set pins worth the flip.

  I want to thank everyone for their responses to my questions.  I was able to get a better understanding from different perspectives.  I have made a little filing system on my portable harddrive with the different subjects categorized.  Thanks again!

  Matthew

  PS.  David, do I know you?  It sounded like from your last e-mail that you know me and my experience/skills, but I don't think I've ever met you.  Am I mistaken?

David Ilvedson <ilvey at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  Matthew,

I don't think you will be getting much of Jon's business. You will get some price shoppers when you are starting out and that is a fact of life. You will be tuning the bottom of the heap. Keep that in mind for when you have the experience/skills the future will bring. Believe me, you don't have them yet...

Keeping clients is really a simple matter, once you have the skills, of 1st class service: Vacuuming easily accessible areas of the piano, tightening the bench, solid tuning and good client inter-action. Client inter-action includes always mentioning service needed and follow up.

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA 94044